It was in the year 1956 that the intermediate teaching in Physics started. Dr. N.Mishra was appointed as the only teacher in the Department at that time. In the year 1957 Dr. U.K.Prasad and later, in the year 1966 Dr.C.Poddar, joined as lecturers in the Department was set up. Shri Bhola Sah who joined as a demonstrator became a lecturer by dint of his hard work in the field of Physics. Dr.S.K.Ghosh joined the Department after being transferred from Godda College.
At present the department is run by three distinguished professors namely, Dr.S.R.Saran(H.O.D)
Dr. Sahdeo Rai and Dr S.N.Mishra.
The Department of Physics has obtained a pride of place in the college. With the help of dedicated teachers, the Department has established a well equipped Laboratory and library.